Thursday, January 20, 2011

Memory Lane

I had the most profound trip down Memory Lane last night. 

I've been talking to an old high school boyfriend on Facebook Chat since Monday.  He wasn't just a random boyfriend, he was the ONLY high school boyfriend.  I dated other guys, but he was the one I fell for hard.  We'd been friends for years before we dated, our families took Spring Break trips together, we slept at each others houses, etc...We were pretty inseparable

Shortly before the end of our Junior year, a mutual friend had told me that my boyfriend was spreading a rumor that he had slept with me. Rather than go to my boyfriend and confront him, I got angry.  At prom I barely spoke to him and within a short time I had ended our relationship.  He told me that I basically said "I can't talk to you anymore".  I hurt him, I didn't know it.  I was focusing on self-preservation and not letting someone treating me disrespectfully.

Fast forward seventeen years, holy crap, seventeen years.  We're chatting on Facebook and he makes a comment that he doesn't know what he did to make me angry.  This was such a specific moment in time for me that I'm astounded that he didn't know.  So I tell him and at the same time it's like a light bulb went off for both of us.  He hadn't said anything to anyone.  This mutual friend had been questioning, but he refused to share any details of our personal relationship...the friend however was more interested in me, then being his friend and worked his magic to sabotage our relationship.  It worked. I didn't talk to him for seventeen years because of the lies of another person.

Last night we met in person. We talked over beers and then in his car for over four hours.  We texted until after 1 a.m. It's like the time has fallen away and I have my friend back.  There are amazing memories that I had forgotten until we sat there - They simply came flooding back with our laughter. Seventeen years in a long time.  It was half a lifetime for us. I think we both sat there laughing and wondering where we would have been in our lives if either of us had actually stopped to talk to one another at 17, instead of walking away.

I don't regret any of it, my life is where it is supposed to be, I'm doing exactly what I am destined to do and I'm excited to see why he was brought back in my life at this moment. I am so thankful to have my friend back.

No comments:

Post a Comment